Monday, July 14, 2008

Footing the Bill

What do infected toenails, protractors, and hypoglycemia all have in common? They were all a part of my day. As soon as I woke up this morning my daughter showed me her toe. Good Morning to you too! Back in April, three days after her birthday, my daughter experienced the partial extraction of an ingrown toenail...ouch! Since then she has started to re-experience the same throbbing, reddness, and soreness until just the other day, while spending the night at Grandma's, when a burst of "avacado green" pus shot out from beneath her toenail...GROSS!!! Like any good parent I stalled hoping it would "heal itself" after a few applications of hydrogen peroxide and bacitracin...uh....no.

And so off we drove to an Urgent Care facility. Apparently the nail matrix was starting to embed itself??? (the dr. lost me with "Matrix"...all I could envision was Keanu Reeves and slow motion bullets). He referred my daughter to a podiatrist whom we will see on Friday. Looks like both sides of her toenail may have to be removed as well as some "preventative" extractions on the other big toe as well. Nothing like starting off your 6th grade school year without big toenails.
Next stop--Walmart (of course). I dropped off a prescription for some antibiotics and we set to work hunting down school supplies. Back in the day this sort of activity was the coup de gras of my summer. I remember carefully selecting the perfect Trapper Keeper and tote bag (backpacks were something only mountain climbers used). I wrestled with such heavy decisions as whether or not my folder should front fluffy animals or else Shaun Cassidy. Not this generation. They are forced to follow a generic list of such ghastly items as tissue, ziplock baggies, and dry erase markers (for the teachers). They are told which color folders to purchase and then...get this...most of "their" supplies go into a pot. Sure, there will always be "those kids" who show up with their Disney Channel it-girl folders and "forget" to bring their baggies. But what do you do? I try so hard to teach my kids to "follow the rules" all the while knowing I could possibly be setting them up to be in the minority. Nevertheless I trudge on answering to a higher authority (and secretly making sure the baggies are amongst their supplies).

As far as the hypoglycemia is concerned...well...that was me...hitting a very shaky and jittery low. By now it was way past lunch (and I barely had time for a cup of coffee before leaving the house) and I was not about to stop for anything to eat since I am now "practicing self-restraint" when it comes to my purchasing prowess (this topic deserves it's very own blog post---later)...(by the way this "restraint" reads as: don't buy sustenance when you can buy something far better such as a purse!). I grabbed a Coke at the checkout counter and $141.++ later my daughter and I were out the door. Wait! Did I just type in $141.++??? That's right ladies and gentlemen...school supplies. And get this: my daughter's prescription only cost $4.00!! Yes, I threw in a box of butter, a gallon of ice cream, 2 cans of peaches, and 3 bottles of wine (and I wonder why I can't lose those last 10+pounds!!!)...But Hey! I needed some school supplies of my own!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment