Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sons and Daughters

Too tired to type but too moved not to. Tonight I spent some time out in the barn with the two men in my life. Watching my husband and son work together made me a little weak in the knees. To think that my husband and I made such a neat little person makes me so darn proud and yet humble. I am lost in the magnitude of it all. As I was sitting in a dirty chair scratching my legs and fighting the voice inside that kept trying to drag me back to the house and all of the unfinished business there I was struck with the knowledge that my son was such his own person. In a flash I saw that chubby round happy face that was his when he was a year old. Now he is thirteen and has such a sly smile that reminds me a little of Harrison Ford's. His hair is more long than short, his shorts are more filthy than clean, and his company is more welcome than not.

Just the day before I spent my time inside air conditioned stores. I was surrounded with clothes and jewelry, purses and shoes. It was a girl heaven. My mother and daughter and I giggled and joked and enjoyed all things clean and pretty. Tonight I was surrounded by grease and grime, engines and tools. It was a boy heaven. My husband and son and I laughed and joked and enjoyed all things gross and stinky. I truly have the best of both worlds...only the two worlds are actually one. I feel very blessed to get to surround myself with snips and snails and sugar and spice.

As I watched my son make a pyramid out of the old 7UP cans my husband collected as a kid I couldn't help but to feel like we had truly done something good. It was if all moments led to this one. All I could think about was the fact that I was living a moment and the moment was a good one.

Tomorrow I will bring my daughter home after church and we will once again be a family of four. I am sure the drama that comes along with a having a daughter will follow as I am certain that the antagonizing that comes along with having a son will remain. But nevertheless I am thankful for brief moments when I am allowed the luxury of time to step back from the pit and regain my bearings. Thanks, Mom, for the reprieve...it was exactly what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment