Friday, July 25, 2008

Good Grub

We all need to surround ourselves with people who make us feel good. Tonight I called up a colleague whom I would never have met if we did not work at the same place. I find it interesting to gain friendships with women who we don't really know all that well but to whom we feel comfortable. She has crossed my mind several times this summer and while I was in the kitchen preparing a meal, from a recipe she lovingly gave me, I felt compelled to call her up. Just hearing her voice made me happy and we both starting talking all over each other's sentences and laughing from deep inside. It's nice to be able to bond over the simple fact that we are women.

We have lived completely different lives and never knew each other back in the day, but we can still wish the other well. As she shared with me her summer stories of adventure I not only enjoyed the telling but felt genuinely proud of her and her acomplishments. I love the women I work with. I love knowing that despite any differences we have we are all longing for many of the same things (and they aren't necessarily "things").

Tomorrow I leave for a girl's weekend at The Lake. I am actually beginning to feel giddy. I went so far as to prepare our main meal ahead of time (which NEVER happens with me), pack my bags (yes, plural), and charge up my camera's battery. I am ready to spend some time with two women who know everything there is to know about me.


You see, we have our friends who come to us without backgrounds (that we know of), and who we grow to love and enjoy. But if you are one of the lucky ones, like myself, you have your childhood friends; the ones who were there back in the day. My two best friends squooshed grub worms with me on the playground, passed notes back and forth in Science, and giggled over boys. Their tears have been on my shoulders and mine on theirs. They love me unconditionally and are my biggest supporters.

I am so glad that, despite the rushing days of life, we have made a point to get away together. I am looking forward to laughing, talking, laughing, listening, and laughing! We might wander down to the water's edge, skip a few rocks from a dock, and if we're lucky squoosh a grub worm or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment