Friday, July 18, 2008

Goodbye Puppies...Hello Teen Idols

Now that my daughter's bedroom is cleaned out she is spending a little more time in there. Last night she called me in to her room because she needed some help securing a poster to her wall. Not just any poster...the Jonas Brothers poster...Nick&Joe&Kevin, and the Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana poster...and the Selena Gomez poster...etc. She has had these posters up in different variations for some time now but the difference is that now they are the only posters on her walls. Down came the cute posters of the little kitty with the tiara whose caption read, "It's hard work being this cute." Down came the poster of the three terriers in front of the chalk board. Down came the silly dog poster...the one with all of the different dog faces that look like you are viewing them from a door's peephole.

And so the transition to the dark side has begun. The force is starting to be felt with her...and with me. It begins with the morphing of the walls from cute and cuddly pets to cute and cuddly boys. Then it will be the purging of the Walmart wardrobe. Next she'll break out the eyeliner. The posters will come down and others will go up in their place. I pray that her only "experiments" will be with hair color products!

For now though she is still my little girl...the one who "gets the joke" and enjoys spending time with me. She is the one who needed me during this morning's "toe procedure" at the podiatrist's office. She is the one who was thrilled to have "earned" a Frosty after hobbling out of the doctor's office. She is growing up and into her preteen existence. I just hope that I live through it all! (The scary thing is--I know I will!).

No comments:

Post a Comment