Monday, July 7, 2008

Help Wanted

After spending several days at the lake for the 4th of July weekend it is good to be back at home. Thank goodness nobody came by and cleaned things up while I was gone! I don't know what I would have done if they had. At least now there is plenty to do to help me feel right at home. Now that it is almost 5:00 in the evening I have finally finished washing dishes and dragging all bags to their prospective rooms. I had my daughter sweeping and vacuuming to help me out but it almost wasn't worth it having to bear the extreme eye-rolling and downward turned mouth. She looked like Cinderella (not the "going to the ball version" either). I felt like the evil step mother. But I got over it.

My son helped his dad move a small storage barn of ours using a bobcat tractor. My son is an excellent operator! He handles that bobcat with ease. Having said all that I hate to divide the kids' work up into such stereotypical jobs: the girl in the kitchen and the boy in the field. It just ends up that way. I mean, I too can drive a bobcat but I'd rather work inside (even though I loathe housework). My daughter thinks she is getting the raw end of the deal but she doesn't exactly like yardwork all that much. Basically it comes down to the fact that everybody needs some help with all of the responsibilities of life.

My husband is off from work for a few days and he is trying to get multiple things done around here. The problem is that he needs my help. Don't get me wrong...I don't mind helping it's just that his needs include sweat, heat, and dirt. Oh, and heavy lifting too. When and if I ever ask for help it is more to the tune of "could you pick up your stuff?" Maybe I need to ask for more help more often. It just doesn't ever occur to me to inflict misery and suffering on others. If I don't want to scrub and fold and wash and wipe why would anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment