Monday, September 8, 2008

...And Many More...

Today is my 38th birthday. In a way it seems odd to me that I've only had 38 birthday parties...38 cakes...38 days that were all mine. Before I even got out of bed my husband wished me a Happy Birthday. Before I left the house this morning my kids wished me a Happy Birthday. On my way in to work I received two texts and one phone call--I felt like a giddy girl. Once I got to work it was announced over the live broadcast that today was my birthday! Every kid I saw today wished me as much. I received cards and emails and more phone calls and texts. There were even a few surprise gifts that came my way. Wow! I had no idea. To be loved and appreciated and, quite frankly, simply thought of, made my day. Even though it rained on me early in the morning and I had bus duty after school--even though I sat in the bleachers in the heat of the day--I wouldn't trade it...all of those things meant that I had a place of employment that I treats me like family...that I am able to watch my son on the practice field...that I am living a life...a good one.

After football practice the kids and I met my husband at one of favorite little dives and slopped up some great tasting Mexican food. When we finally got home there was a gift bag dangling from my backdoor's doorknob. I felt like I did whenever I spotted an Easter egg as a child. My sister-in-law had left me a delicious smelling Yankee candle (vanilla cupcake) and in so doing made me feel special. As my key unlocked the door I could hear my answering machine singing "...Hap-py Burrrrrrthdaaaaay dear..." I leapt across the kitchen floor wanting to grab the phone before one of my bestest friends hung up. After chatting away with her outside I came back into the house to find a "Happy Birthday" banner in the window along with our special birthday candle and yet another gift bag...this one from my family. My husband and kids sang to me and it felt good to have the three of them there--my true gifts. The card they picked out for me almost melted me and then they surprised me with the ultimate gift...a gift card to Barnes & Noble...JACKPOT!!! Could my day get any better?!

The best part of my evening was watching my daughter whispering to her dad...conspiring to make my day. I watched her (though she did not know it) emulate me...trying so hard to create a special memory for me in the best way she knew how and with what little available she had. These are the presents that have been worth waiting for and for them I am eternally grateful. And that in itself gives me every reason to look forward to each birthday to come...and many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment