Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Don't Have it Maid

Today an email came across my screen at work. It was part of a long feed between members of the library world. It was from a woman who lives and works in Houston. She mentioned that due to the mandatory evacuation orders she was forced to leave behind all of her books, data, computers, info, etc. Yes, the lives of our loved ones are the most important things that matter. But to a writer and a book lover the very thought of losing paper and information, manuscripts, and drafts...well...it is just about unthinkable.

But it did get me thinking about just what does matter. I have been wanting to not necessarily get rid of, but at least pack up and put away all things that clutter my home, my mind, and my life (don't worry, I'll poke holes in the lids so the kids can breathe)...(it's a joke people...a JOKE!!...well, sort of). Do I really need to display everything that I own? Must I continue to collect paper and dust? But then I am left with the even larger question: Where will I store all of the stuff that I think I must keep but no longer need? Should I box things up and let the critters enjoy them? Will their empty spaces only invite more stuff? I struggle between wanting to decorate my home with all the things that make it ours (okay...mine) and wanting nothing more than furniture and food.

My belongings are an extention of me but really they are a token of who I once was. I have molted alot since "then" and even still have some shedding to do. No matter how much I would love to come home to a house filled with white furniture, white carpet, and white curtains... (and a maid)...the fact of the matter is this: it is just not my 'season' to live that way. Instead I come home to a house filled with brown furniture, stained carpet, gritty concrete, and no curtains (I must say that I did not want curtains in this house as they would block my view and ultimately-at least once-have to be cleaned)...(and NO maid).

I know that life is not about washing the dishes...I KNOW that...but the problem is someone has to wash the dishes or else there is no life. I don't want to spend what little time I have at home at the sink. And yet, there I stand...I have the wet line across my shirt...belly-level... to prove it. I know that life is not about having a pristine home filled with clean, white belongings...I know that is not even a remote reality for me. But I also know that cleanliness matters...organization matter...family matters. Today I had the luxury of getting home before the evening news. I had thought ahead and washed all of the dishes this morning so that when I got home I was able to focus on other, more important things...like writing this entry. I also had time to bathe and preheat the oven...the pizza will be ready in 23 minutes. Paper plates are as close to a maid as I get.

No comments:

Post a Comment