Monday, September 29, 2008

Weekend Plans...Maybe

I just got off the phone with a mother of one of my daughter's friends. She had called to ask if my daughter could go with her and her daughter to see the Chihuahua movie this weekend. I told her that my daughter would love to go and has been wanting to see that very movie. This mother then rattled off one of the best sentences I've heard in a good while: "I'd like to go on Friday...but I usually do better in the mornings so I don't know how I'll be feeling later on that afternoon. I'll just have to see how I'm feeling when it's time to go." Or something close to that. She then went on to say something to the effect of, "Maybe Friday...maybe Saturday." Now that's my kind of MOM!!

I hate making plans. I hate planning anything. I would much rather fly by the seat of my pants and make things up as I go along. The trouble I run into is that so many other people in my life are very strict when it comes to following agendas. There are so many other mothers out there scheduling play dates and events that it makes me dizzy. I simpy cannot participate. I do not like being so regimented.

Now, when our kids were babies I was like a walking-talking Swiss watch. I scheduled and scheduled and developed routines and truth be told it nearly broke me. There were definitely some benefits to it, but overall I wish I could have been more lax. I think the main reason I was such a stickler was because I was working full-time and had no other choice...if for no other reason than to try to make life a little smoother.

Having such a laissez faire mentality leaves me quite constricted when it comes to reporting to work EVERY DAY. There is nothing that ruffles my feathers more than hitting the ground running before 3:00 in the afternoon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment