Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Play by Play

Tonight I pushed my way through the humidity and figured the mosquitoes would be hard pressed to find a part of my body that wasn't already swollen from other mosquito bites. I welcomed the sweat and relished every moment I spent outside--throwing the football and running plays with my son. I yelled "Hut!" and waited until he was just about to cut to the left and turn back in anticipation of the perfect spiral (this girl can throw). I caught almost every pass he shot back my way. I had the first hint of a jammed finger (hadn't had one of those in years) but toughed it out. I lobbed 'em high and I threw 'em wide working to make him jump and reach. Every now and then I managed to time it just right...and when he connected it was thrilling. I cannot even begin to imagine what it must feel like to be one of those guys on the field--how utterly exhilerating.

But, then again, to be the mom is quite an amazing feeling in itself. To be able to receive such satisfaction just in the knowing that your child is growing and becoming. So is this "one of those moments" where you realize "it was all worth it?" All of those times when he shook and bobbed his head (you just knew it was intentional) every time you tried to comb his hair when he was two, three, and four years old? Every time you needed a few moments of quiet only to have it blasted away by the sound of sirens from all of those gifts of noise from loved ones? Yes...I'd have to say it was all worth it. They do grow up and become such neat individuals. Yes, they are still noisy, and yes they are still dirty, and now they won't even let you come near them with a comb---but they are all the parts of you you wish you were. They make you glow from within and they give you reason to be proud.

And, it is because I want for him to experience so many things in his life, that I willingly offered to throw the ball. I hope that I am always there to help him out...and I hope that he will always want to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment