Tuesday, September 9, 2008

In the Middle

I wore a skirt...a black skirt. I tried to look and feel pretty and professional. Big mistake. You see, I am in a quandary about what to do with my "look" lately. It seems that I am living out an eternal Venn Diagram of an existence. In the left circle I have blah clothes and shoes. In the right circle I have dressy dresses, cute pants, and marvelous high heels. Then there is the center circle...the one with a little of the left side of life and a little of the right side of life. That is where I am--the mixed up middle. I am holding on to my pretty clothes but am being forced out of my fabulous shoes. This presents quite the fashion faux paus. I just can't "do" flats with knee-length skirts. I need the elongation and stature heels afford me. In flats I am just that: flat...flat and short. Boring.

So, in order to maintain my own standard of dressing, I continue to dress up as much as possible. But there is yet another problem...I work in an elementary school library. Today found me on the floor of my workroom shuffling through plastic bags filled with Big Books...literally on the floor-skirt fanned out beneath me...my black skirt (now grey with dust). Fortunately I wore-get this-ballet Crocs with said skirt (I know...I need an intervention-pronto!) because during outside bus duty it poured down. It was then that I was actually glad that I had decided (against my better judgement) to forego looking decent from the knees down. Oh, and when I drove over to Johnny's Feed Store after work to buy a 22 pound bag of chicken feed I didn't even have to worry about what I stepped in.

Yup, it's true what they say, you can take a girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl. The only problem with this is that this country girl don't work in no barn (although it sometimes feels like it).

No comments:

Post a Comment