Monday, September 15, 2008

Meals in Thirty Minutes or MORE

4:30-6:45…2HOURS and 15 MINUTES!!! That is how long it took me to prepare a meal for my family. It did not turn out tasty either. Everyone was nice and kept their mouths shut; unfortunately this did not help with the eating part of the dinner. You see, whenever I make one of my four regular meals I am always asked why I can’t seem to whip up something different. And so, to show them how much I care, I prepared a meal unlike anything else I’ve ever created before. This one called for ingredients I had never even heard of before. In fact, I had to ask three different people in the grocery store what and where something was. A couple hundred dollars later I walked out of the store with real ingredients and an actual plan to cook them.

I’m a little slow when it comes to trends, but I am now ready to jump on the Rachael Ray bandwagon. Just the other day I caught a few minutes of her show and decided that I wanted to make the dishes she made that day: I thought that I would start off with something “simple” and likely to be eaten by my kids. I decided upon the Sausage with Garlic Lentils and Roasted Tomato Bruschetta. This was the first time that I had ever eaten and or prepared lentils. At one point I had four different timers ticking at once.
I am guessing that I did it wrong as they tasted like the little circles of paper that fall out of a hole punch. I tried measuring and pouring all of the ingredients first-into those tiny clear glass bowls-just like they use on t.v. After our meal, while cleaning up, I noticed a small bowl still filled with olive oil…ooops.

I chopped, I grated, I halved, and I poured. I rinsed, I roasted, and I simmered. I used our good plates and I focused on the presentation. I watched everyone chew, wince, and swallow. I cleared the table, scraped the majority of my work into the trash, and then I washed the dishes. I fell onto my bed – lights still on – and I fell asleep. Two minutes later the phone rang and I came to my senses…lentils work best when poured in a wooden bowl with candles set on top of them, and bruschetta is best when spoken aloud in an effort to impress others with an Italian word.

No comments:

Post a Comment