Wednesday, September 3, 2008

In My Hands

I feel doubly blessed...not just for having children, but for having a son and a daughter. Last night I did the snips and snails thing but tonight I needed a little more sugar and spice. After being in a blue mood for a while I decided to treat myself to some fake fingernails compliments of Walgreens. As soon as we got home and the kids started in on their homework I snuck off to the bathroom for a cheap girl's manicure session. I ended up with glue (I just know there is mostly SUPER glue in that little tube) everywhere except where it needed to be. This meant that had I wanted to go into the business where stripping away one's fingerprints was a necessity I very well could have applied tonight. This is where my daughter comes in. I needed her to pry the skin underneath my nails from the hardened glue on my fingers.

She absolutely loves to do all things "medical" and promptly set to work with an orange stick, some clippers, and a determined look on her face. Her only disappointment was in the fact that I had not bought her a set of fingernails in a box. (Can't you just see her in band with long, fake nails?!) (Of course she wouldn't be playing seeing as her flute is still being repaired--cha-ching!). She managed to get my hands looking and feeling much better in no time. She would have jumped at the chance to pamper me from head to toe but I insisted she finish her homework.

You see, my daughter is always wanting to make me feel better. She is always the one who looks at me with knowing eyes and rushes over to pat me on the back while whispering, "...it's alright Mama...it's alright." While my first instinct is to be angry at myself for not being the comforter, my next emotion is one of gutteral love. To have a child be there for you is quite a humbling experience. My daughter is the one who always tries to 'make it better.' She routinely offers to give me massages or make meals for me. She is the one who, several years ago, gave me the priceless gift of wonder: having always been the one who created the magic of Christmas mornings I got the treat of a lifetime--one morning during the month of December, my daughter got up real early so that she could turn on all of the Chrismas lights in the house so everything would be twinkling when I woke up. I absolutely love our Christmas tree and lights and always string lights inside all over the place. I had not walked into a room lit up with the wonder of Christmas magic since I was a child. This simple act meant so much to me and I carry it with me wherever I go.

From football tosses to fake French manicures it is evident I've got the whole world in my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment