Monday, September 22, 2008

Falling for My Friends

Today being the first day of fall I took it upon myself to call one of my best friends to wish her a "Happy 1st Day of Fall!" Before I could shout out the words she spit them out to me as her initial greeting. Loving all things fall, my friend's voice was laced with giddiness. She thrives on brown and orange and celebrates her wedding anniversary during this delightful season. I think of her every time the seasons change. While I don't want to associate my friend with a pumpkin I will say this: she would be the first to change the word into plumpkin as she is the queen of self-deprecation.

There is nothing like good friends to make you smile. Who else can you call at 6:45 IN THE MORNING and share a few laughs with...knowing full well that they are not only up but en route the same as you? I love my girlfriends--I love them because we know so much about each other's lives and we never have to apologize for anything. We go way back...as far back as fall nights underneath the Friday Night Lights of our high school youth.

With the anticipation of crisper leaves and blustery days I can't help but to be anxious for a little nip in the air. I want to melt some queso and pop a cork. I want to sit with my girlfriends and giggle and snort. I want to listen and hug and listen some more. Our lives are busy and they are full, but thank God they are intertwined. Each of us have been a part of the other's lives since we were in elementary school and I am a better person because of my girlfriends. While we no longer meet on the playground to crush grub worms or make rock houses, we do call, text, and email whenever we can. We know and appreciate each other's schedules and complicated lives. And so, on this the first day of fall, I want you two to know that you are the best part about the ending of summer. I fall for you every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment